5 Easy Ways to Keep Your Hair Color Longer
- 1. Cool it! The first and easiest thing you want to remember about making your hair color last, is to always use cool water on your hair when shampooing, rinsing, conditioning, etc. It is best to use even cooler water when rinsing.
- 2. Try not to use your hair dryer, float iron or any other heated styling tools anymore than necessary, and just let your hair air dry whenever possible. These styling tools can damage your hair and make your color fade faster.
- 3. As most hair colors suggest, it is best to wait 24 hours or so after shampooing your hair to apply hair color, and then to wait 24-48 hours after applying hair color, to shampoo your hair. The natural oils in your hair help the color to stick better and to hold up longer. Don't shampoo your hair every single day if you don't have to. It is good to build up some oils in your hair even well into your color.
- 4. Always condition your hair with rinse out conditioner, as well as a leave in conditioner. It helps to use the once a week conditioner that you get with the hair, if you do your own hair color.
- 5. Use shampoos that are specifically for color-treated hair. These are designed to make your hair color last and you can often find shampoos that are designed for blond, brunette, and red hair.